Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Way I Choose Things


Josh and I just broke free of our lease, leaving behind our 400 square foot apartment that was advertised as "like living in a treehouse" (this couldn't have been more true). As much as we admired the lack of parallel lines, uninsulated walls, and poor circulation, we thought it was about time to venture on to something a little more comfortable. Our checklist included, but was not limited to:
  • central air/heat
  • laundry
  • a dishwasher would be nice
  • 2 bedrooms
  • windows that open (insane how much we missed those)
  • insulation
  • storage for our bikes
We accomplished finding a place that included 4 of those seven requisites. Why was I so willing to overlook the top three? Behold:

Cabinetry with glass panels.



Outside the kitchen window: our neighbor's yard.



Retro ceiling fans.


Built-in bookshelf.



I liked this cupboard in the bathroom.



And...glass door knobs. This was the real kicker.

So I overlooked the rest, and a few other things...
An irreparably rusty porcelain sink with 2 spickets: one for hot water, the other for cold.


Linoleum. Awful linoleum (but only in the kitchen and baby/guest room)



Drainage.

And again.

A funky little abode, but even the quirks are fairly charming. And here's the last photo: from the front door to the very back room. Shotgun style.

4 comments:

Anne said...

How did I miss the separate faucets in your bathroom sink? Oh wait, I know. That crazy rust is VERY distracting.

Lorraine said...

Can we come visit!!?? Adorable!

Unknown said...

Looks super cute!! I am so glad you have ac for momma and my baby nephew! ~Krysal

Amy W. said...

Ahhhh, this house brings back memories. We lived in a shotgun in New Orleans---charming!